Don't Let Lockdown Deadlock Your Imagination: Dolpa Exploration


I feel glad to be here at Dolpa, a rural district of Nepal for the government service. One day suddenly one thing struck on my mind, dear Lochan, you know what, "Don’t let lockdown deadlock your imagination".

Then, I planned to explore Dolpa district for learning culture, visualization of spectacular nature, interaction with the local people and their problems, meeting with the people from different professions, understanding the possibilities, and opportunities in the diverse location of the district. As per my plan, I moved on to execution. Then, I packed my bag with the essential materials and left my workplace Kaigaun, Jagadulla Rural Municipality, Dolpa.

After having 12 hours of trekking, I reached Juphal (Airport Location), Thuli Bheri Municipality. I stayed there for 21 days. During my time at Juphal, I got an opportunity to explore their festival "Bhadra Purnima" and the cultural dance "Dhami Nach". This festival was their greatest festival celebrating once a year and they celebrate more enthusiastically than the "Dashain and Tihar".

 I visited the agricultural Farm of Jay Karna Budha, an agriculturist by profession. Where I tasted the various types of apple and it's a product called "chana" or "sukuti".


 Two major places nearby juphal are tripurakot and Dunai. Tripurakot is the center point for all the locations of Dolpa where visitors are generally visiting Tripurasundari Temple. Also, the people from Dolpa used to visit there for banking and shopping purpose. The capital city of Dolpa district is Dunai where all the government offices are located. Dunai is also having a beautiful landscape that attracts tourist attention.

The most adventurous and heaven place of Dolpa district is Shey Phoksundo Lake located in the Rigmo village (3635 M from the sea level), Shey Phoksundo Rural Municipality. The main attraction towards Dolpa district for both the International and the domestic tourists is to visit Shey Phoksundo National Park. The estimated expenses to explore this location from the capital city of Nepal, Kathmandu is around 30 Thousand (Including to and fro air tickets and hotel fair), (15 to 20) thousand by road. Visitors will get an opportunity to explore other districts near Dolpa when they have a willingness to travel by road which makes their journey more adventurous. While the visitors will get an opportunity to closely visualize the spectacular mountains when they prefer to travel by air.




The distance from Juphal to Suligad (Entry Point to Shey Phoksundo National Park) is about 4km where you will get a vehicle (Bolero). The trekking route of about 13hrs from suligad will reach you at Rigmo village where the Phoksundo Lake is located. You can stay and have fun where ever you want during your trekking; there are lots of hotels on your journey. As per my recommendation, on the first day from Juphal or Dunai wherever you stay, try to mind makeup to reach up to Tapriza School, where you will get hotels to stay at night. On the next day having 3 hrs of trekking you will reach Rigmo village. After having lunch, you can explore the lake and the gumba located there. Another day, after having your breakfast, just pack up your lunch meal and start your journey to the view tower of the lake to explore more, that’s amazing where you will get the opportunity to explore the capricious nature of the color of the lake along with the spectacular mountains. I highly recommend you all, do not forget to bring your windproof jacket, the environment out there is much cold. In the evening you can return to your hotel and take a rest. Within 12 hrs, you can return back to suligad from Rigmo Village. On the next day, you will have an option to take a flight and return back to Kathmandu. This strategy will help you to explore Phoksundo Lake more enthusiastically.

One of the memorable moments of my Dolpa exploration was a Night campfire with my friends at the jungle of Dolpa, where my cognitive system connects with the fresh and tranquil nature, which helps me to reinvigorate my thought process.

One of the best stories that I would like to share with you all….

On the last day of my trip, I was traveling from pahada, Tripurasundari Municipality to kaigaun, Jagadulla Rural Municipality having 8 hours of trekking. At the midpoint of my trekking, nearby "Balengra Lek", I was feeling hungry and when I searched my bag for some cookies and noodles, I haven’t found any food. Then I searched for house/temporary hotels nearby that location and I found a cottage that was temporarily made up of a tent in the middle of the jungle. I went there and I see only two kids normally having the age of 2 yrs and 7yrs playing together. Then, I asked them for a noodle. I was astonished by her reply, 7yrs girl (she) said ok, have a seat, and I will cook a noodle for you.

 I expected that she will search her parents around there and call them to come and make a noodle for me but that was not her step. I asked about her parents, they were farmers and went nearby that location for cutting graze. Finally, she cooked a noodle for me and served it with extra chilies and a cup of water. I found the taste of noodles was awesome. With the taste of noodles, I reminisced about my childhood. At her age, I don’t know how to cook food. I was being curious to know about her, and then I asked her my query. As a finding, she was in grade 3 placed in the third position, and studied in the lama school, Hurikot. She has the ability to cook all kinds of food that exist in Dolpa. After having noodles, I gave some money to her and she let me know that she hadn't changed. Then I told to her, "listen! From the money you need to return to me, buy a copy and pencil and study well". Then I said, Tata bye-bye to her and I moved on to my destination, Kaigaun, Dolpa.

That was the overwhelming and emotional moment of my Dolpa exploration.

Thank you so much for your time to visualize my experience here at Dolpa. Your feedbacks are highly appreciated.

With Regards,

Er. Lochan Basyal

Comments